Buy value chess sets from our range, including the Gambit Fold Up Chess Board or magnetic travel chess set. But just because they are cheap chess sets doesn’t mean they are cheap quality. All of the sets in our value range are high quality and will last for years.
What Are Official Staunton Cheap Chess Sets?
When you hear the term cheap chess sets, you probably think it means low quality. It has connotations of budget chess sets and chess boards being sold off at bargain prices. But that isn’t the case for our Official Staunton Value Chess Set range.
Should I Buy A Cheap Chess Set?
These days you have a wide selection to choose from and as you’re an avid chess player who values quality, you're probably wondering; should I buy a cheap chess set?
- Our budget chess sets are now available in many different colours and styles to suit your taste and age.
- Our sets are very low maintenance. If you keep your pieces well-oiled and maintained, they will stay in excellent condition.
- We never compromise on quality. All of our budget chess sets are hand carved using the finest woods such as walnut, maple, acacia, and mahogany.
Plastic Or Wood?
Now, you might be using a plastic chess set because you think that it’s cheaper. This can often be true, but what if we told you you can buy cheap chess sets made from wood? Thinking of trying it out? Well, if you are, here are some reasons why you should:
- Wood pieces are better suited to glass chess boards than plastic.
- Different types of wood are softer to the touch and offer a more comfortable game experience.
- The blending of different woods creates striking colours, making them easy on the eye.
- Wood pieces are better suited to being ‘weighted and felted’ than their plastic cousins. These can be lightweight but durable and sturdy.
What Cheap Chess Pieces Are The Best?
When looking for a cheap chess set, there are a few key things to consider:
Material: Plastic and weighted plastic chess sets are often the most affordable and durable options. Wooden chess sets can also be a good option, but they may not be as durable as plastic sets.
Weight and balance: Look for chess pieces that have a good weight and balance, so they don't tip over easily during play.
Aesthetics: Make sure the chess pieces are visually pleasing and have a good level of detail.
Quality: Cheap chess sets can be of good quality too, but make sure that the chess pieces are well-crafted and not flimsy.
Size: Consider the size of the chess pieces and board, especially if you plan to play on a smaller board or table.
Brand: Try to buy from reputable brands.
By considering these factors, you can find a cheap chess set that is both functional and visually pleasing.